- Discuss how to measure ingredients.
- As a family member works, they could talk through the sequence of making a certain dish.
- Discuss the different food groups that are represented on the table.
- Talk with children about the number of ingredients in a specific dish.
- Ask children to pick out a favorite part of the meal and tell why they like this.
Encourage families to discuss with children their own cultural traditions as they relate to this holiday. Some people have a tablecloth that is used year after year. Everyone who sits at the table signs the tablecloth. Other people spend a special time, remembering the past year and the many things for which they are thankful. In our home, we are talking about the immigrants in our family tree that came to the United States. Older family members are sharing these stories with younger family members. We are coloring the flags that represent our past immigrant families.
The idea is to talk - and talk - and talk!
For more art-related Thanksgiving ideas see our pages http://www.maggiesbighome.com/2015/11/family-time-with-preschoolers.html and http://www.maggiesbighome.com/2014/11/thanksgiving-preschool-crafts.html.